Friday 29 January 2016

A cardigan, a poncho?

This is rather a nice garment, I have had it for about 3 years.  It was given me by a friend who had lost lots of weight and was discarding her fat wardrobe.  I was the lucky recipient of several very nice things.  Although I like this, I have never worn it.  Every time I think I will, I find the colour is too dull for me (how can maroon be duller than black?  Dunno, but it is).  It doesn't quite hang right (too small!!!???) or the fringes get in the way.

I occasionally put it on indoors when it was cold, but frankly I have other things that do the job better (shawls, throws etc, even my dressing gown).  It seemed a shame that it was "born to flower unseen and waste its sweetness on the desert air" so I thought I would give it to a charity shop.  Then today, I had the ingenious thought that I would see if Angie (who cleans for me) would like it.  She usually wears black (since her husband died a year or so ago) but I pointed out that after a year the Victorians permitted widows to wear grey, white and purple as well as black.  She was delighted by the pocket, so I hope she will keep it and wear it a bit and not hand it on to the 40p/kg clothes merchants.

No comments:

Post a Comment