Thursday 28 January 2016

Flip flop

There they are, an old tired pair of flip-flops.  For most of my life I've had flip-flops.  I had my first pair when we went on holiday to Italy in 1966.  They were bog standard ones, white uppers with straps in red, blue or yellow, and matching soles.  Flip-flops sustained me through teenage summers of love and sulking, and I still wore them at university.  During the 80s it was almost impossible to buy them, except in seaside towns, but the technology had improved, they often had ribbon straps which were more comfortable and they came in slightly different colours.    At some point, probably about ten years ago they became extremely fashionable and could be acquired with massive amounts of decoration, flowers, ribbon, metallic surfaces etc. They also became far more expensive - often up to £15 for a really outrageous pair - probably more in London.   This was during the hey-dey of Glasto-chic, when everyone wanted to dress as if they were at a rock festival (allegedly).  This included Sainsbury's customers and while some of my more flamboyant flip-flops came from TK Maxx, this pair came from Sainsburys.   I bought two pairs, the others were blue striped and wore out first.   A close inspection will show that these have not worn out - but I am chucking them because my feet are old and require more support, and I actually find the toe post painful and itchy, so they have lost their raison d'etre i.e. of allowing me to feel young, free and reasonably speedy.

I don't know if you can re-cycle flip flops, perhaps as underfelt? - so they may have to go straight into the bin and thence, presumably, to landfill where they may survive for future archaeologists.

No comments:

Post a Comment